Monday, January 2, 2017

Interview with Marci Wilcox

My good friend, Marci Wilcox, has just released her latest ebook. It's a four part series called "Red Fox, GA." It's available on Amazon and Smashwords. I can honestly say that it's the best thing she's written and I urge everyone to download it now. Go ahead. I'll wait. Get it? Got it? Good.

I sent Marci the standard four blog tour questions. Here are her answers.

What are you working on?

I'm working on two short erotic stories before I dive back into the second season of "Red Fox, GA." I should clarify my use of the word season. I split the first season into four books which I called episodes. I wanted the reader to feel like they were reading a TV series and each episode ended with cliffhangers that took you into the next episode. Now that season one is done, I'm anxious to begin season two. It picks up where season one ended.


How does your work differ from others of its genre?

I don't think it does. My characters fight, scheme, lie, cheat, make love, and fall in love like most characters in other books. This is the first story I've done that isn't erotica. It has some hot sex scenes, but the sex was incidental rather than the motor that drives the story. I had always wanted to do something like "Tales of the City" in which the story follows different characters through humorous situations.

Why do you write what you do?

I explained in the previous question why I wrote "Red Fox, GA" but I should probably discuss why I write erotica. I like sex. I think sex is natural and we shouldn't feel ashamed about wanting or having sex. That goes for any kind of heterosexual sex, homosexual sex, BDSM, polyamorous sex just to name a few off the top of my head. I think the best erotic stories are about someone who secretly desires to engage in a sexual activity that has been deemed inappropriate either by their own standards or by the world in which they live and then are forced through circumstances to fulfill their darkest fantasy. Another way to put it is that I like to write stories about people being forced to be their true self, which is the basis of most stories.


How does your writing process work?


I don't write to a word count. Maybe I should, but I've just never gotten the hang of writing like that. Instead, I try to either finish a chapter or write enough of a scene so that when I sit down at my desk the next day I'm anxious to pick up where I left off. I begin a book by writing it down in broad strokes. I write by hand in notebooks. I don't edit anything at this stage. If I change my mind as I'm writing the story, I just make a note where I've gone in a different direction and keep writing. I will probably re-write this way a half dozen times before I begin writing chapters on my computer. I write each chapter as a separate document and then copy and paste them into one document when I'm done. I always do a character list and an iTunes playlist. The playlist is music that puts me in the mood of the story. I try to write for at least three hours a day, but once I get into a story I'm thinking about it all the time. When I'm done with the first pass, then I do the first rewrite. When the rewrite is done, I do a first pass edit on the manuscript myself and then I pay a professional editor to do the second pass. I would do more rewrites, but volume is important when you're an independent author.

No comments: