Sunday, July 12, 2015

Off the Grid

I have friends who won't use the internet. They don't want the government tracking their every move. They want to stay off the grid as much as possible. I respect their desire for privacy. We're losing more and more of it all the time. Sadly, its impossible to hide. If the government could find Ted Kaczynski in a cabin without electricity or running water in a remote part of Lincoln, Montana, they can find anyone. As for me, I try to limit who I share my information with as much as I possibly can. But what really frustrates me are my friends who refuse to have email. They can only be reached by snail mail or by a landline and often that information is outdated. Sadly, I can go online and pay some service to track them down, but then I feel like the Big Brother boogie man they're trying to hide from. I'm all over the internet. I do it because I need to promote my writing. I can't afford to hide and frankly I don't want to.

No comments: