Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Never Ending Devastating War on Poor Little Defenseless Precious Adorable Christmas

It’s the time of year when Fox News fires up their Evangelical Christian viewers with the manufactured War on Christmas. Nothing like false righteous indignation to get one into the holiday spirit (sorry, Christmas spirit).

Is it really so terrible to have to share this time of year with others? According to certain Christians, the answer is a resounding Hell Yes!!! By saying Happy Holidays, you are including other holidays like Hanukkah, Kwanza, New Years, the Winter Solstice and that’s insulting to Christmas. Christmas is the dominant holiday and demands complete attention and proper tribute. Christmas does not share with others. Christmas rules.

Christmas sounds like a bit of a tyrant.

I don’t care if someone does or doesn’t wish me a Happy Hanukkah. The holiday is based on a lunar calendar so it never falls the same time of year on other calendars. It could happen during Thanksgiving one year and during Christmas another, which means people often wish me a Happy Hanukkah when it’s not Hanukkah. I also don’t care if someone says Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or if they don’t say anything at all. What I like best is when someone asks if I’m doing anything fun during my time off from work or if I’ve been invited to any fun parties. It’s the time of year when most folks don’t work. That’s nice. Let’s share that.

I don’t like when people try to show their sensitivity of my religion by including Hanukkah with their holiday celebration. This might include lighting a menorah or discussing the similarities between Judah Macabee’s militant policies with the Bush Doctrine and Republican Neo-cons. I don’t feel that our inclusion into your home is a show of respect. You’re co-opting our traditions. Wasn’t stealing the Christmas tree, gift giving. and basically all of Christmas from the Pagan’s Winter Solstice enough for Christians? Is there no end to your desire to devour and destroy other religions? I don’t celebrate Christmas. I don’t decorate a tree. I also don’t fast during Ramadan. I don’t celebrate other religions’ holidays because I have my own religious holidays to celebrate. However, if someone were to invite me to a mosque to see how Muslims pray, I would go out of respect. But afterwards, I wouldn’t go home and start bowing toward Mecca unless I became a Muslim.

The saddest part is when the same people who complain whenever someone says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas or get their panties in a wad if a department store says Holiday Sale instead of Christmas Sale or totally lose their shit when a school calls it a Holiday celebration instead of a Sweet Holy Jesus Happy Birthday Christmas Extravaganza are the same people who complain that fellow Christians have forgotten the true meaning of the holiday. The reason for the season. And that’s where the problem arises. Are Christians celebrating the birth of Christ the King or Jesus the Messiah who taught tolerance, sharing, loving your neighbor, and helping the less fortunate. A King wants to rule his subjects. A holiday for a King demands total submission and doesn’t tolerate disrespect. A messiah wants all humans to live together in mutual respect and love for one another.

So, what is this war really about?




No comments: