Sunday, January 30, 2011

What I'm Reading



I’m reading “Night of the Living Trekkies” by Kevin David Anderson and Sam Stall. I was loading up on urban fantasy and science fiction books at DragonCon when on a whim I added this one on the pile. I bought such a huge amount of these genre books because DragonCon seemed the only time I’d find so many titles to choose from. I picked up “Night of the Living Trekkies” based on the hilarious cover.

I wasn’t expecting much when I finally got around to reading it. I didn’t know anything about the authors, nor did I realize that the publisher, Quirk Fiction, was also responsible for “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.” What I expected was something slightly better than amateur fan fiction. The concept was great- zombies at a Star Trek convention- but great writing doesn’t always accompany great concepts. I was delighted to discover that the Anderson and Stall wrote a damn good book. The characters are well defined. The pacing is perfect. The premise is wonderfully goofy. This is a very entertaining read.

I like Star Trek, but I’m not a trekkie. I learned a lot about Star Trek trivia from the book. I especially love that the chapter titles are taken from Star Trek episodes.

If you like your zombies with their undead tongues firmly embedded in their cheek, I suggest you pick up this book. I suggest you also check out their book trailer.

No comments: