Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dr. Jimmy 40

There was an interesting bit of editing done to this strip. Originally, in the last panel, I had Dr. Jimmy say that despite "popular" belief, there is no loss of intelligence being black. However, the paper's editor had me change it to "ancient" belief. The point I was trying to make was that there were people out there who still believed the bullshit theory that one race of people is inferior to another. However, the editor thought the word popular was too widespread and reflected an attitude of a racist minority. I saw his point and changed the word, though I didn't realize at the time that the editor hated that there was anything remotely controversial in my strip and that this was the beginning of many confrontations I would have with the editorial staff.





No comments: