Saturday, April 17, 2010

Red Book Sketches

I realized that I've been doing these sketch books for over ten years now. Why not show some of the old stuff?
I call these Red Book sketches because the cover of the notebook says The Red Book and has Russian words. My wife gave me the sketchbook which she found in a nice gift shop. This was also from a period where I still used both sides of the pages. I have since starting drawing on only one side because the ink has a tendency to bleed through. However, the Red Book's pages were a good heavy stock, so I was able to draw on both sides without bleed through and now am able to show two pages at once. I like how the two sides interact with each other.

I am also reminded of a comment from a fellow artist when I showed him one of my sketchbooks. "I notice that none of the lines are scratched through," he said. "You don't worry about mistakes." I was surprised. Sketches aren't supposed to be perfect. They're supposed to be fast and dirty. There are no mistakes in rough sketches. It's all good.






2 comments:

Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the blue Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

Mickey Dubrow said...

Thank you. I'm glad you liked the sketches.

I checked out your blog. Very thoughtful entries.