Tuesday, December 8, 2009

English Countryside

I have this dream project. To have a genuine American country music band do an album of country songs that were originally written and performed by British rock n’ roll bands. The British artists wouldn’t necessarily have to be rock n’ rollers. The main criteria is that they be from England (Ireland and Scotland are acceptable as well) and be known for some form of music besides country music. I would call the album “English Countryside.”

I got the idea when I began to think of how many popular British bands did a country tune on at least one of their albums. Some, like the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, have done a few.

Seeing as how I can’t play a musical instrument, don’t know any country music bands well enough to approach with this idea, and have no way to bankroll such a project myself, I’m sure it will remain a dream.

Instead, I have put together a partial list of the songs that would go on “English Countryside.” I would prefer to have at least twelve songs for a complete album, but only came up with six so far. I decided there should only be one song per band so even if a British band did many country songs, I only put one of their songs on my list.

Here is my album listing (so far) for “English Countryside”:

“Don’t Pass Me By”
The Beatles

“Far Away Eyes:
The Rolling Stones

“Has Anybody Here Seen Hank?”
The Waterboys

“Different Finger”
Elvis Costello

“Country Comfort”
Elton John

“Muswell Hillbilly”
“The Kinks”

2 comments:

BadGlue said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg67-CIasMg

-Jilly

Mickey Dubrow said...

Thanks for the link, Jilly.

When I think of the Beatles and country music, I always think of Ringo singing Buck Owen's "Act Naturally." And then I remember all those Carl Perkins songs they did with him.

I didn't realize until recently that Ringo wrote "Don't Pass Me By."