Monday, August 24, 2009

A horse is a horse of course



Time: 1995
Place: Atlanta, GA


I was working for a creative services department of a cable network. One day I was meeting with the head of programming (HP) when the General Manager (GM) walked in. HP and I were in the middle of discussing how to handle a certain program and needed GM’s input on how to proceed. Both HP and GM were women, but that really has no bearing on this anecdote.

Here is the conversation that we had.

GM: Everything going okay here?

HP: Just fine. Glad you stopped by when you did. We have an important question to ask you.

ME: If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be?

GM: I would be a horse, because they’re beautiful and I love to run.

ME: Okay, I’ll put you down for horse.
(I wrote “horse” down on my legal pad)

GM: Well, if that’s all, I have to get back to my desk.

HP: Wait, wait! That’s not the question we need an answer to.

HP went on to ask for the information we needed. I had jumped in with my question as a joke. A rather obvious joke at that. The GM’s serious answer caught me off guard and told me much more about her than I cared to know.



Photo from FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments: