Sunday, June 28, 2009

Crazy for Comic Books



Time: 2005
Place: Atlanta, GA

I was at a small comic book shop. At the time, there were only two people in the store: the guy behind the counter and me. The guy behind the counter needs a name, so I’ll call him Greg. As I was checking out the new titles on the stands, Greg got a phone call. The call went on forever and I found myself half listening to Greg’s side of the conversation.

“Yeah, I think that’s when the Atom Smasher came back,” Greg said. “They can’t bring back Kobra because Black Adam ripped his heart out. They said it was a character Stan Lee never used, but it was a hoax. They were lying. Yes, lying. Yes, Stan Lee knew. He was in on it.”

Eventually, I found some comic books I wanted to buy and brought them to the register.

“I gotta go,” Greg said. “I have a customer.”

Greg hung up and started ringing up my books.

“I didn’t mean to eavesdrop,” I said, “but that was some heavy conversation you were having.”

“Yeah, that guy calls all the time, usually when there’s about eight people lined up at the register,” Greg said. “The guy is crazy.”

“Well, he certainly seems to know his comic book history,” I said. “I didn’t know half the stuff you were telling him.”

“Oh yeah, he’s very well versed in arcane comic book history,” Greg said, “But when I said he was crazy, I meant that literally. He really is insane. He’s in an asylum and his keepers let him read comic books. He likes to call the shop and discuss characters who were killed off thirty years ago.”

I couldn’t think of a response to that tidbit of information, so I just mumbled wow whaddaya know about that, paid for my comics, and left the shop.

3 comments:

Sparkle Plenty said...

Much catchin' up to do on your bloggery! Love the sketches, and there really IS no response to: “But when I said he was crazy, I meant that literally. He really is insane. He’s in an asylum and his keepers let him read comic books. He likes to call the shop and discuss characters who were killed off thirty years ago.”

I have thought this through carefully for several minutes.

No response. Zero.

Mickey Dubrow said...

It wasn't until I was driving home that I thought I could have asked how Mrs. Kobra and all the little Kobras felt when they found out how Kobra had been brutally murdered.

Anonymous said...

I can recommend to come on a site on which there are many articles on this question. acheter levitra sur le net I join told all above. We can communicate on this theme. Here or in PM.