Saturday, October 25, 2008

Anniversary


Eleven years ago today I stopped smoking. Two factors helped me make the decision. The first was J. kept asking me when I was going to stop. I had told her when we first moved in together that I would quit one day, but not to bug me about it. She bugged me about it anyway. The second factor was the free nicotine patches my mother-in-law gave me. The patches had belonged to the man she had lived with. He had basically smoked himself to death. Before he died, his doctor had given him the patches, but he refused to use them. I took his death as a cautionary tale and decided to give the patches a try. I put the first one on on October 25, 1997. I haven't had a cigarette since.

The photo is courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2 comments:

Sparkle Plenty said...

CONGRATULATIONS, MICKEY! Fourteen years ago this month--wow, I can't believe it was that long ago--my mom died from those little effers.

I'm glad you quit--for your sake and for J.'s sake. My sister still smokes; I hate it, but due to complex sisterly factors I can only nag her biannually.

I had some witty stuff here, but it just didn't fit. (Note: Might not have been that witty, on second thought.)

Mickey Dubrow said...

Thank you. Oddly enough, I feel like that I've only recently regained my sense of smell.